Monday, November 19, 2012

Crispie Rice Treats

I am serious about my crispie treats.  They are easy and quick to make.  They happen to be gluten and nut
free which is sometimes important.  But I thought I would share a few things I have learned from my own disasters.

1/4 cup butter/margarine, 1 bag marshmallow, 4 cups crispie rice cereal, 2 cup fruity rice cereal

Melt butter and marshmallow. Add cereal.  Place in greased  9 x 13 pan.  Flatten.  Cool and Serve.

Now to things learned.

Marshmallow creme did not work for me as a substitute.  It didn't stick together.
10 Campfire(jumbo) marshmallows = 1 bag of regular marshmallows.
The combo of fruity and regular make them look cool and like you worked hard with very little extra effort.
Adding too much butter makes it more sticky.
If you don't grease the pan they will stick.
Everything in your body wants to hurry up and push down the treats.  But if you wait a few minutes (~5min) it will work much better.  It won't stick to everything.
A quart sized zip lock bag is perfect for pushing down the treats into the dish.  Insert hand in bag.  Spray palm side of the bag and flatten.  No sticking and works better than a spatula.
Don't have a zip lock bag use sprayed wax paper or spatula.
Cut shapes and decorate using icing - easy edible fun.

Always cut and serve and pretend you worked hard.



No comments: