Thursday, April 3, 2008

Recipe

Well folks I tried another new recipe and it got rave reviews from my husband so here it is. I will confess did not exactly follow the recipe. So I will give you the official version from Pampered Chef and then the variation notes. Also it let me grill outside but you can also broil in the oven.

Apricot-Glazed Chicken

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
3 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger root
4 pressed garlic cloves
1 broiler fryer chicken cut in quarters
1/3 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds

Combine soy sauce, vinegar, oil, ginger, and cloves. Put marinade in a large plastic bag along with the chicken. Marinate 8 hours in the refrigerator. Grill on medium heat 40 to 50 minutes. Melt the apricot preserves in the microwave(30 t0 40 seconds). Brush on the chicken and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with onions and almonds before serving.

Now the unofficial directions.
*A half hour marinade will still give great flavor. I forgot to marinate overnight.
*I used boneless chicken and it only takes 20 to 30 minutes on the grill
* I am not thrilled with vinegar so I only used half the amount...I didn't have rice vinegar in the house so I used Apple Cider Vinegar
*I melted the preserves in a skillet and just dropped the chicken into it...continued cooking the same.
*Also if you don't have sesame oil just use regular oil
*I didn't have fresh ginger so I used 1 tsp of powder ginger. The general rule I have been taught is 1 tsp of dry to 1Tbsp of fresh
*If you don't have slivered almonds just use a food processor and grind up whole almonds.
I don't see any reason you couldn't use another kind of nuts (peanut, walnuts,etc.)
*Technically onions and almonds are for looks but they do taste good but you could eliminate if you don't have them
*Also if you don't have apricot preserves I am sure you could use another fruit preserve (orange, apple, raspberry)

I hope you enjoy this recipe.

No comments: