Thursday, March 6, 2008

RECIPE

A week or so ago Ellen ask on her blog for recipes that use refried beans. Well I tried one yesterday that I really liked so I am going to pass it along. The only drawback is that there is cheese in it. For me this is great but for Ellen not so great. I suspect that this recipe could be made without it or with less cheese. This recipe is from Simple and Delicious

Chicken Tortilla Bake

1 lb or cubed chicken
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBL oil
1 can (16oz) refried beans
1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes and chilies drained
8 tortillas cut in 1 inch strips
1 can (11oz) mexicorn drained
2 cups shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Saute chicken in oil salt and cumin. Grease11 x 7 pan. Combine beans and tomatoes. Spread 1/3 of the mixture on the bottom. place a 1/3 of tortilla strips on the bottom. Top with 1/3 of beans, 1/2 the corn, 1/2 the chicken, and 1/2 the cheese. Repeat. With remaining tortillas make or lattice or simply lay down the strips on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes of until warm through.

Notes
I hardly ever truly follow the recipe so here are some variation suggestions. Some of which I did.
*Use hamburger instead, no oil needed then
* Can't find Mexicorn use regular corn or frozen corn.
*I suspect you could go meatless without a problem
*If it is too spicy use plain diced tomatoes and no chillies or just a few that you add.
*As I mentioned earlier probably could reduce or eliminate the cheese - the moisture is in the tomatoes
* I ate with sour cream, Perry like it plain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about writing a cook book? I know I'd buy it. Love ya, Ramona