Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Gnocchi


Image from pastaequipment.com
Gnocchi....I had never had it before but had recently seen a couple of recipes that made curious to try it.  Needless to say it was a hit in the Barbee house.  I bought some in the pasta aisle but they say you can also find it in the freezer section too.  If you are really inspired, you could make it from scratch.  I am not however that inspired.  The cooking time of this stuff pre-made is 2 minutes.  Okay.  I put together several recipes to make mine tonight.  So I am sharing...in part so I can make it again.

2 pounds gnocchi (this was two packages said 3 servings each) - Cook according to directions
1/2 pound of bacon cut into small pieces
3 cups spinach cut into small pieces (I have a little electric chopper that does this...if you are lazy don't chop it...my kids eat the little pieces...looks less like spinach)
1/4 cup of flour
3 to 4 cups of milk
1 cup very sharp cheddar cheese (most recipes call for parmesan...didn't have any)
1 to 2 tsp garlic seasoning mix (I like McCormick salt free)

Cook bacon. Remove bacon from pan  and set aside.  Add flour to pan.  Stir to make a paste.  Slowly add milk, stirring with a whisk.  Add seasoning.  Cook and stir until slightly thickened. 2 to 3 minutes before serving add back in bacon.  Also add spinach.  Just before serving add cheese.  Mix with gnocchi and serve.

This got rave reviews from the family despite the pasta looking funny and having lots of spinach in it.

No comments: